Friday, September 24, 2010

The Christmas Quilt

Last Christmas I started a Christmas quilt for my mom (and dad). I spent December 23rd cutting squares and rectangles and strips and sewing them together into this quilt top.

I was able to give it to them on Christmas Eve, however I had to take it back, as it was just a top: no batting, no backing, no quilt.

Fast forward to yesterday, September 23rd- 9 months later. I have been working on many small, quick projects as of late. I realized that, since it was the first full day of fall, maybe my mom would want her quilt soon. After a brief discussion, she decided that she wanted it be a duvet cover for an older quilt that is starting to wear thin. I think the reason I have been putting it off is because I know I can't machine quilt a queen-size quilt on Diva (my Singer with a wicked attitude).

So, I started piecing together the remaining fabric left over from the front to make the back. I did have to run out to JoAnn's for a little extra, but I got it done. Today I sewed the front & back together and did a quick straight stitch all around. I also added a strip of Velcro to the bottom so that the old quilt doesn't fall out. ;)

Phew! It's done! And tomorrow, as we celebrate my son's 6th birthday, my mom (and dad) will finally be in possession of the Christmas (Duvet) Quilt. Yay!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Missie, I've been waiting for you to email me your address Re my giveaway. Please do so ASAP. Thanks, Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally won a blog contest! And then I lost. I haven't been around blogland much in the past week as I have been working on my quilt, and I failed to see that I had won. Grrrr.....

    ReplyDelete